The Fisheries Division (NFI) is responsible for the economic, social, institutional, governance and policy aspects of FAO’s activities related to fisheries and aquaculture and their development, with particular emphasis on human well-being, food security and poverty reduction; post-harvest utilization, marketing and trade with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security and the well-being of fishing communities; collection, compilation, validation, trend analysis and dissemination of the best available and up to-date fishery statistics and for the syndication of the FAO information on all aspects of world fisheries and aquaculture.
The Division is also responsible for FAO’s activities related to the management and conservation of the living aquatic resources used by fisheries and aquaculture, including the biodiversity and ecosystem maintenance, with particular emphasis on most vulnerable and threatened species and habitats; management of responsible fisheries and aquaculture in accordance with modern management standards and best practices; development of fisheries technology, with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security and the well-being of fishing communities, including the safety of fishers and fishing vessels.
Collects and analyses relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects as well as products and services;
- Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
- Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
- Updates databases and web pages;
- Participates in multidisciplinary project/work teams;
- Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars, etc.;
- Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
- Provides support and analysis on relevant technical issues;
- Provides support to divisional initiatives, programmes, projects and meetings, including the International Year of Artisanal Fisheries and Aquaculture (2022), the Committee on Fisheries (2022) and Sub-Committees (COFI-Trade and COFI-Aquaculture);
- Provides support to divisional activities related to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in maritime law, biology, fishery science and aquaculture, economics, climate change, food and nutrition, or related fields
- Three years of relevant experience in fishery research or management of fisheries, fish trade, fishery products safety and quality, field of statistics and data management of fisheries, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- These assignments are funded by the Government of Norway; therefore only Norwegian nationals are eligible to apply.
Søknadsfrist: 14. august
Stillingstittel: Associate Professional Officer
Stillingstype: Engasjement, 1 år med mulighet for forlengelse
Spørsmål? For nærmere opplysninger ta kontakt med NOREC på email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.fao.org.