NPA is the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Development, Humanitarian relief aid and Mine Action and disarmament.
The vision of Norwegian People’s Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 30 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement’s humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people’s living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA’s international work covers three core areas: Mine Action and Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises response.
The Development and Humanitarian Cooperation-department of Norwegian People’s Aid supports local organisations across the world, in their efforts to create societies where power and resources are distributed more fairly. NPA works with local partner organisations in humanitarian response, and uses its own operational capacity as a leading mine action operator to provide protection against explosive weapons. Where there are few viable local alternatives for urgent response, we also provide direct humanitarian assistance
NPAs commits to strive for a world free from discrimination based on gender, and where every human being can fulfil their potential unhindered by discriminating laws, economic and social structures. NPA firmly believes that gender equality needs to be at the core of our work.
NPA has approved a new strategy for 2020-2023 which emphasises the priority to strengthen and expand the organisation’s work on gender equality and Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV)
In order to take this work forward we are looking for a gender equality and SGBV advisor with solid field experience and ability to both support the roll out of our gender policy and provide technical support and guidance to NPA’s programmes. The successful candidate will be a part of the Programme support section in the Department for Development and Humanitarian Cooperation in Oslo and work closely with country programmes as well as other technical and geographical advisors to support new and ongoing programmes.
- Strengthen and mainstream the gender perspective in all aspects of Norwegian People’s Aid’s work, both at Head Office and in country programmes,
- Provide advisory support to NPA’s management in developing priorities and plans for implementing the gender equality policy
- Lead policy and strategy development processes related to gender equality and SGBV in NPA
- Build capacity of staff and partners in key technical approaches related to SGBV and advancing gender equality and social justice via developing and facilitating high quality trainings as well as providing technical assistance and support
- Provide leadership on and inputs to the design of NPA’s SGBV programmes globally in line with NPA’s theory of change and contribute towards international best practice.
- Provide oversight and guidance to country programmes to ensure that thematic programme components are technically sound and grounded on gender and power analysis
- Support and lead the technical scoping, planning, and design and proposal writing for new SGBV responses in cooperation with NPA’s country programmes, local partners and programme advisors
- Work closely with colleagues to identify and pursue funding opportunities
- Contribute to organisational learning and capacity strengthening initiatives across country offices to continually improve the quality of NPA’s programmes.
- Develop policy positions and represent NPA in relevant networks and national and global policy level dialogue on gender equality and SGBV.
- Provide technical support in developing gender-specific communications, acting as a spokesperson when required.
- Ensure NPA has a role in advocacy and political processes related to gender equality and SGBV and contribute to relevant policy briefs and position papers
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree in Social Sciences or a related discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience from development/humanitarian work, including at least 2 years of field experience
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation and management of SGBV programmes in an international development/humanitarian context
- Experience from strategy and policy development
- Proven experience of working with local civil society partners
- Ability to take charge of self-development and take initiative as well as working as a part of a team and in partnership with other stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to travel up to 30%
In return we offer:
A permanent and exciting position where you can contribute to the development of NPA’s gender equality and SGBV work globally in an interesting and challenging work environment. You will be covered by a comprehensive and good pension and insurance scheme. We also offer 5 weeks of annual holiday and flexible working hours, plus reduced working hours between May 15th-September 15th.
The position is based centrally in Oslo, and we offer relocation assistance with regards to working visa.
Salary step 35-50: 423.522 – 566.034 NOK depending on your education and relevant experience.
Start-date as soon as possible.
NPA strives for diversity and gender equality, and encourage candidates of all nationalities, backgrounds and gender to apply.
We aim for an inclusive working environment where all employees feel respected and supported. In addition, we are continuously working towards reducing our environmental impact in all our interventions.
Before you apply:
We kindly ask you to carefully read NPA’s Code of Conduct, Safeguarding Policy and Anti-Corruption Policy before you submit your application. If you are the selected candidate for this position you will be asked to complete and sign a Safeguarding self-declaration as well as our Code of Conduct.
NPA is a Norwegian organisation based in Oslo and therefore the work place language is Norwegian.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Development-Cooperation or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Job title: Gender equality and Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) advisor
Position type: Permanent position
Questions? Gry Ballestad, epost: Gry.Ballestad@npaid.org
To apply for this job please visit web103.reachmee.com.